Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Getting Started


I have created this blog in my Reporting Contemporary Issues class at the University of Northern Colorado. My blog will be filled weekly with topics about the upcoming presidential election and every two weeks, details about Greeley, Colo. city council meetings.  I am a senior journalism major with an emphasis in news-editorial and an English minor. This means I adore writing and reading -- two hobbies that will come in handy this semester when keeping up on news around the nation and city.
Last year I created a blog about dancing, which was also for one of my journalism classes. Dancing is something I know a great deal about, which guided me while blogging. In the case of this class, writing about the election and city council meetings is going to be a challenge, but educating nevertheless. The frightening thing about blogs is the fact that it’s completely open to the public, anyone, anywhere, anytime. But this fact is motivating at the same time; it makes me want to write something that everyone will enjoy even if they have no idea who I am.
Personally, I think blogging is a much more exciting way to write my stories than turning in a paper to the professor. This way, the topics I cover are available to more than one person, which I think will make me work harder in the long run. Through blogging, I hope to gain confidence in my writing because I know that it’s out there for good once I hit “publish.” It’s definitely something I’m looking forward to doing this semester, even though it’s nerve-wrecking now, I think I’ll learn to love it. Who knows, this could be the beginning of my blogging career.

No comments:

Post a Comment