Saturday, December 8, 2012

Farewell JMC 352 & Happy Blogging


Another semester has passed, and if JMC 352 has taught me anything, it’s how to cover current issues and to not lose my voice as a journalist with a blog.

            This was the first opportunity I got to report on something as crucial as a presidential election and then put it on the internet for the world to read. Having a blog made me excited for the possibility of having a larger audience than just a professor. What I was writing about the election and Greeley city council meetings had the potential of reaching hundreds of curious internet browsers. This is what I enjoyed most about the blog; and the fact that I was able to use my personal voice instead of that of a strict reporter.

            After reporting on such a strenuous topic as the presidential election, and considering that my writing would be on my blog, it helped me learn that facts are crucial, highlighting both sides of every issue is essential and a writer’s audience should always be kept in mind. I also learned that covering an election on a college campus means many opposing viewpoints, but keeping my own opinion out of it all was critical. This ended up being the most difficult part. As students voiced opinions that I disagreed with, I put my reporter face on and still gave them their part in every story.

            For journalism students preparing for this class, my advice would be to not be afraid. It can be intimidating as a student forced to interview prestigious figures like the Mayor. And although phone interviews would suffice, nothing compares to interviewing and getting to know a source face-to-face. Even if his/her opinion differs from your own… suck it up and report.

No comments:

Post a Comment